My Top Playlist of 2009

It's the end of the year, and it's time again for me to present my BEST LISTS for the year. This time, I am adding my best music for the year. As some of you may know, I am also addicted to all types of music, from trip-hop, opera, pop rock and metal. As long as the tune is unique and what I call musically superior, they would be repeating in my iPod for a month or more. Here are my best and noteworthy tunes for 2009 in no particular order:

1. Make You Feel My Love by Adele (Album: 19)

If last year was Chasing Pavements, this year, I've discovered that Make You Feel My Love is even better. Beautiful and moving lyrics that stir the soul to love without condition.

2. Use Somebody by Kings of Leon (Album: Only by the Night)

My rock song of the year. the same way that some electronic beats put me into a trance, Use Somebody mesmerized me with a soothing rock melody if that's even possible. Reminds me of U2.

3. Eet by Regina Spektor (Album: Far)

Her new album Far is not a departure from her previous sound, but the songs are more upbeat and memorable. The melodies have soothing patterns and the arrangements are simple yet amazing. Eet stood out for me from the rest of the pack. You've also got to see her music video, which I think was brilliant (where she uses a typewriter as a piano). Simple and amazing.

4. Hey Soul Sister by Train (Album: Hey Soul Sister)

After two years, Train releases a new song, and it didn't disappoint. The first time I heard it, I knew I would love it. It is a happy, feel-good song, with a melody that is great to sing along with. I just hope we had it in videoke bars. Hey yeah, hey!!

5. Who Says by John Mayer (Album: Battle Studies)

At first, I didn't like the song. But when I got my earphones and listened to it on a rainy day, the song talked to me like a best friend. It was comforting, soothing and relaxing. Though I am not a big fan of the new album (I loved Heavier Things), Who Says made me realize that John Mayer is indeed a brilliant artist.

6. Empire State of Mind (Parts I and II) by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys (Album: The Blueprint)

The version of Jay-Z came out first, and made me want to go to New York. But when I heard Alicia Key's solo version, I almost booked a flight to the city where dreams are made of. Let's hear it for New York.

7. I Gotta Feeling, Meet me Halfway, Alive, Simple Little Melody and Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas (Album: The E.N.D.)

It's the year of the B.E.P. and with a different sounding yet still rousing album, it's definitely one of the year's biggest. I just couldn't single out my favorite, so I included all of of them. I just loved The E.N.D., and with all the mash-ups of their previous hits and remixes of their current releases. Meet me Halfway got me singing like crazy while Boom Boom and Simple Little Melody got me pumping. Tonight really became a good night because of the national anthem of parties.

8. Sexy Chick by David Guetta and Akon (Album: One Love)

Another great dance album, One Love by one of my favorite DJs, David Guetta, turned in some irresistible beats, with Sexy Chick being one of the most unique and addicting. One Love with Estelle and I Wanna Go Crazy with will.i.am also got me spaced out.

9. Here on Earth by Tiesto featuring Cary Brothers (Album: Kaleidoscope)

This was my chill out song of the year. The great melody and addicting beat never failed to keep me sane while driving through horrendous traffic. Probably, this has got to be my song of the year.

10. Crawl by Chris Brown (Album: Graffiti)

The latest album of Chris Brown was surprisingly good. Released late in the year, I couldn't believe at first that Crawl was sung by Brown. Talk about PR, his manager have done well in releasing songs that are inspiring in sound. Crawl also has excellent lyrics, a twist to the common phrase, let's start all over again.

So there you go. I realized I liked happy songs for 2009, to combat all the challenges I experienced this year. Happy music from DJ heroes like David Guetta and surprisingly Tiesto, and of course the BEP still reigned my playlist. Chris Brown has a lot more in store, while I was disappointed with Rihanna's new album Rated R. I also liked Cobra Starship's Good Girls Go Bad and Hot Mess and admittedly Taylor Swift's You Belong To Me.

Happy listening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us-Usan Island: Guimaras

Nagarao Island: Guimaras