Canyoneering in Badian

The Southern part of Cebu is gaining much attention from tourists all around the world with its controversial whale shark interaction in Oslob. Aside from that, Moalboal also boasts of shore snorkeling with thousands of sardines and the occasional turtle sightings. But if there's one thing you should not miss in Southern Cebu, it has got to be canyoneering in Badian to the famous Kawasan Falls.

                 


I took a spontaneous trip to Cebu City to revisit the place, dine at my favorite restaurants and explore new spots that the city has to offer. I was able to accomplish the task in a day, and was already satisfied. So the next day, I decided to hop on a bus to Moalboal to do one thing that I haven't done yet - the great Canyoneering experience.

It was a pleasant 4-hour journey to Moalboal. I had myself dropped off at Badian, where I met up with a local guide whom I contacted via a close friend of mine. He told me that the trek would take around 4 hours. 


After securing my things in a locker and getting a waterproof pack for my phone, we headed straight to the welcome center of the canyon. I was offered to take the zipline down for P500, which I gladly took, just to add to the experience. It was a good minute ride down, but cut me around 30 minutes of a walk down the canyon.  


As soon I heard the sound of water, my adrenaline kicked in. I was treated with the most turquoise of water. I took my first jump, that defined this canyoneering experience. At first, I felt quite hesitant, but after that first jump, it becomes addicting. 


The jumps were from 3 to 10 meters high across the entire trek and I took around 8 of them. Navigating through this wild waterway was both exhilarating and relaxing. Some parts were just made for pure adventure, some moderate climbs, but mostly tolerable. The rest of the canyon provided lush green landscapes amidst a backdrop of dropping cliffs and calm serene water. I imagined myself in an Indiana Jones movie or exploring Jurassic Park the raw beauty of nature around.


You can still see traces of Typhoon Odette's wrath, which my guide said was a blessing in a way. Prior to the disaster, the canyon was already being commercialized, with pathways built to make way for a more convenient experience. "Nature took it all back after the storm", he says. "I actually like it better this way, and I hope the government keeps it this way". I agreed. This place would not be justified by stone pavements and rest areas along the way. It should be kept as it is.


After a little over 3 hours, we finally made it to Kawasan Falls and was shocked to see how the typhoon has also made the spout of the falls smaller. It's not the Kawasan as we know it anymore, and the floating bamboo raft is already gone.

Nevertheless, the canyoneering experience was still great. I can imagine the hoards of tourists during the morning treks. Most come during the morning after swimming with the whale sharks. So if you want less of the crowds, take the afternoon trek. I suggest you go to Moalboal for the sardines, have breakfast and then go to Badian after lunch.


I haven't really committed myself to making vlogs rather than this traditional blog, but I see myself doing it soon. So standby for my channel on YouTube as I resume my explorations of our islands and others more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us-Usan Island: Guimaras

The Beach House at Kawayan Cove