Canvas: The Terraces, Ayala Cebu

Canvas is a new bistro bar that have been the recent trend in food hotspots in the country today. Cebu really is a treasure chest for great restaurants, that serve unique dining experiences. Canvas is the newest restaurant to open in the Terraces of Ayala Center Cebu, and it has shot up my list of best restaurants for the year.


Canvas calls itself a bistro bar, so it's a casual restaurant during the daytime, and a bar during night time. I heard that there were a lot of plans for this bar, which could turn it into a happening venue for the social class.


The kitchen opens up to the dining area, so you get to see and smell what's being cooked. The kitchen staff looked experienced, and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. I was really looking at how they cook the food from my seat. I observed their technique and plating, which really impressed me.


I was surprised to see how affordable the offerings were. It was a well planned menu, not too many and not too few. It was also great that they offered small portions of their entrees, so, you pay less. Most of the menu items had this dual pricing.


The first dish was called Bondi Beach (P360), which was a really shrimp 'n chips. The fries were a bit disappointing though, as it was just normal. The shrimp was also a bit small for me, but the breading was spiced right.


The salad served was the Arugla with Mozzarella (P175). The serving was enough for two. It also had some alfalfa sprouts, which always pairs well with arugula.


We ordered two kinds of pasta, both in single servings (the cheaper one). The first was the Mama's Spaghetti (P130), which was more of Pomodoro, only with richer tomato sauce. It was topped with meatballs as well.


The other pasta dish was my favorite, and was my first choice on the menu. The Linguine (P155) with a lot of other ingredients on it, was really spicy pesto with mushrooms. I couldn't remember the other stuff. I just remembered that I enjoyed this dish so much, even though it made my tongue heat up.


We also got a Seafood Risotto (P155) that was again presented on the menu with a lot of ingredients. I was intrigued by the combination of ingredients on a basic seafood risotto, so I insisted we get a single serving. Well, it turned out disappointing. I began to miss the risotto of C! Italian.


Other dishes came out, like the Beef Fillet (P195). I wasn't able to try this dish though, but my colleague told me that the meat was cooked right, medium rare. The mashed potato was also a little bland.


I asked for the most requested item on the menu, and the bubbly waiter gave us the Pork Fillet (P195), that came with a pasta as well. I didn't remember what pasta came along, because I wasn't able to write down anything. I was just tasting everything. Well, the bestseller wasn't extraordinary, but it was good.


I had to go into dessert after my having a bite on all dishes, so I immediately had the first choice, the Mango Yogurt with Green Tea Sorbet (P135). I was hesitant at first, but after my first spoon, I practically finished half of the small cup. All my favorites in one dessert: yogurt, mango and green tea ice cream. I loved this dessert.


I wasn't contented yet, so we got one more, the Caramelized Chocolate Brulee (P155). The caramelized shell on top of the chocolate was hard to break, and was so sweet as well. I had to spit out the hardened sugar. But the chocolate mousse was delightful.


We came to Canvas at around 3PM, and we were just looking for a place to relax and have dessert in. The small portions obviously made me excited in ordering, that turned our afternoon snack into a tasting feast. I love Canvas, because it mixes great ambience and deliciously cooked food at affordable prices. And their presentation was fantastic. It was also an art gallery after all, so the food must look like art. Even the waiters were wearing shirts that have been had painted. Canvas lives up to its promise of an inspiring dining experience.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Us-Usan Island: Guimaras

The Beach House at Kawayan Cove