The PuLi: A True Urban Escape

Shanghai is one of my favorite cities in the world. It is probably one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Asia, along with Hong Kong and Singapore. But Shanghai has that old world charm blending with such a futuristic backdrop. It's something hard to describe without seeing for yourself.



Of course, Shanghai has a wealth of hotels that are just WHOA. I already talked about the Waterhouse at South Bund, which was more boutique and quirky. Now, let me talk about my other favorite in Shanghai is the PuLi. 


The PuLi Hotel and Spa is located in Jing'an District, between NanJing West Road and Yan An Road. It is an area that is booming with a lot of restaurants and other new hotels popping up. You are a drive away from Nanjing, the tourist center and the Bund of course. This area feels more like Paris.


The PuLi may seem just like any beautiful hotel from the facade to the lobby. What I loved most about it is its room, that perfectly captured what Shanghai meant to me - modern and traditional. The design was unlike any other big hotel room I have stayed in. Yes, there are more creatively designed rooms, but this was elevating luxury and class on its own.






And this was their run of the house (basic room). I just couldn't stop taking pictures of my room. It even had complimentary snacks and sweets - which included a jar of White Rabbit chews!


I explored the hotel further and grabbed a beer at their long bar while I continued on with my work backlog. I just came from Mongolia, so I had 5 days of work to catch up with. At the end of the day, I decided to get a reward - a massage from the Anantara Spa. 


It was too soon to say that my favorite part of the hotel was the room. Now it was the spa and pool area. I loved the design and how classy the pool looked. It was already sunset, and the floor to ceiling windows let the rays in so gently. This was what an urban escape was all about. And I was practically alone with this beautiful pool.



I had dinner at their award winning restaurant, Jing'An, though I didn't have any pictures of the experience. The PuLi indeed departs from the usual hotels that we stay in. The moment you enter, you are already placed under a spell that will make you regret leaving. It's a good thing I was getting late for my flight back home. 

***

1 Changde Rd, Jing'an, Shanghai, China
+86 21 3203 9999

Ambience: 4
Room: 5
Service: 4
Facilities: 4
Dining: 3
Over-all Experience: 4
I.E Score: 4 (excellent)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us-Usan Island: Guimaras

The Beach House at Kawayan Cove