Yehliu: More Fun in Taiwan

I didn't get up early for Day 3, since after that trip to Hualien, I sort of partied the night at a local bar. It was also a cold and damp morning, so it was just irresistible to stay in bed (even if my bed wasn't comfortable). At around 10AM, I pulled myself out and headed to the North Bus Station, just beside the Taipei Main Station. 



My destination was Yehliu, in the northern coast of Taiwan, closer to Taipei. I was told by my roommate that I should take a bus to Jinshan, that passes by Yehliu. I easily found my station, and the woman selling tickets knew how to speak English, so I confirmed my destination.


Yehliu is one of my must visits in Taiwan, after seeing pictures of this place. Yehliu is a cape on the north coast of Taiwan famous for its stunning geological landscape. And when you tell me it's a photographer's dream, you can just imagine how I cannot not go here.


I came out of the bus and jumped into the rain. The weather was not good. The winds were howling and I was already wet. Nevertheless, I braved my way to the entrance of the Yeliu Geopark, a peninsula jutting out into the ocean and dotted with strange rock formations. I bought a raincoat so I could move better. There were a lot of oriental tourists coming in, so it was quite a struggle.


It was raining hard when I got in, and to make things worse, my camera was getting wet - and losing batt! I didn't know what to do, so I hurried just to take as many shots as possible.


But how can you be quick with a view like this? The Yehliu rocks reminded me of our own Biri rock formations in Samar. Strikingly similar, but here, you have pathways for tourists. Biri has no infrastructure, which is actually better. 


It wasn't a big park and as I've said, there's a pathway to guide you. This pathway circles the entire park. I imagine that if it wasn't raining, it would be like an outdoor museum of stunning rock formations such as mushroom rocks, honeycomb rocks, ginger rock, pothole erosion and other appropriately named oddities. The one above are called the Mushroom Rocks.


 

The area is studded with seawater-eroded holes draped with mosslike organisms and even inhabited by sea creatures. Sun, wind, rain, waves and strong northeastern typhoons all make a major impact on this narrow strip of land, producing this stunning landscape.



I wasn't able to enjoy my visit because of the rain, and by the time I arrived at the Fairy's Shoe and the Queen's head rock, I lost battery. I already gave up and just took my time splashing through the wet alien landscape.


The waves were also wildly crashing onto the rock formations, and created pools along the pathways. The rain stopped briefly, so I continued to the Candle Rocks. I ended my journey as the rain began to pour crazy again.


I was drenched and hungry when I exited the park. I tried to dry my camera in a nearby 7-11 where everyone was having a hot cup of coffee as well. After having lunch in a local seafood restaurant, I made my way back to the bus stop where I was dropped off. Despite the wet experience, I realized I just witnessed a unique sight (well, apart from the Biri formations). I was still surprised at what Taiwan has to offer. I knew there would be more. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Us-Usan Island: Guimaras

The Beach House at Kawayan Cove